Friday, February 20, 2009

Kellen is 11


Kellen is 11 today!
It does not seem like that long ago that Kellen came into the world. When he decides to do something he does it good. That included his birth, my labor and delivery...under and hour!
He was a very "wanted" baby. We worked hard to get him here. Tests, medication, the whole thing. When he came into this world he was completely silent. Even scaring the doctor enough that he made sure to tell us that even though he was not crying he was doing great and was completely healthy, just not screaming. Little did we know that he would scream constantly for the next 18 months. We LOVED him so much we barely even noticed that all he did was cry, and cry, and cry. But it was ok, we were so happy to have him.
It seems like it has been the longest, and slowest, year of our lives but when I look back at how fast my children are growing it seems to be going by to quickly!! Kellen has had a really hard year and has had to deal with some life altering changes. It, amazes me as I look back over the past year, that all that has happened in Kellen's life he still has a great attitude and sense of humor. He has dealt with his past year so much better then I would have expected, better then I could do! He has an amazing spirit, and attitude about all that he has to go through. That does not mean he does not have some tough times, he does, but he works his way through it and moves on. Knowing "it is what it is".
One of our birthday traditions is that I picked up the kids from school on their birthday and take them to lunch. Today Kellen chose the Chinese place down the street. At the end of our meal as we read our fortunes we both agreed they could not have been more perfect, it was a little bit weird! Kellen's said, "Determination will get you through". I will be saving this one and reminding him of it as often as he (we) need. Mine said, "Don't waste time on what might have been". Is the fortune cookie maker looking over our shoulder? I seem to have spent a lot of time on the things I WANTED for Kellen, the ones that are no longer an option. He wanted to be in the military, not gonna happen (not sad for me on this one, just sad he cannot fulfill his dream). If he decides to serve a mission for our church he cannot go anywhere but home, no adventures out of State, or out of the Country. These are the things I personally think about and worry about for him. I guess I need to stop!
I am so proud of Kellen and I feel blessed every day to be his mother! I could not ask for a better child. I am sure that Kellen is meant to do great things in this world, I can hardly wait to see what he does with the next 80 years!!
Happy Birthday Kellen, We love you!!

No comments: